Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 4030 EUR, Received: 40 EUR (1%)
(*Donation progressbar standing is unconfirmed.)
If you have donated, comment in this: donation thread, so we may review it.
Unfortunately we've lost the ability to generate ad revenue, because of some links to copyrighted content, which were posted by certain members, so now we solely depend on donations to keep this site running.
Please support the website with your donation.

Any donation will help!

Thread: "5" - References To Alizée's Past & To Anything Else

Super Alizée Fan Moderator (PL) Jazzmin's Avatar

Default "5" - Analysises, Associations, Interpretations

I wanted to get to know if other Alizée fans have noticed this kind of things I have. And also I'd like to ask if someone could make some music analyse. I think songs from "5" are a bit melodically similar to songs of France Gall (from the period when she collaborated with Gainsbourg) but I don't have any proofs. The duration of songs is similar ("Le dernier souffle", "Boxing club", "Jeune fille", "Dans mon sac" last less than 3 minutes) - France Gall yé-yé songs were quite short.

Je veux bien
    J'veux un bébé / mais un comique -> Mon bébé blue from "Lonely List". It wasn't written like this on purpose but see how it corresponds. In "Lonely List" her "bébé" is blue (sad) so in "Je veux bien" she wants a comic (cheerful) one.
    Other comic themes: Ou un sourire, Envoie des clowns, J'veux bien pleurer / mais c'est de rire
    Dance themes: Fais-moi valser, Fais des pirouettes After all, we all know Alizée loves to dance ^^ .

Le dernier souffle
    Comme je te l'avais promis -> Maybe she references to Promis, j'appellerai in Eden? Lol, I know, too abstract interpretation...

Boxing club
    Comme une mauvaise fleur -> gets me an association with "Les Fleurs du mal" by Charles Baudelaire. Don't know what it has to do with it, though. Whatever.

Jeune fille
    tu chanterais yéyéyé -> France Gall was one of yé-yé singers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Y%C3%A9-y%C3%A9
    J'n'ai pas d'idée sur la question / Pas d'avis / Pas d'opinion -> Reference to the line in "C'est Trop Tard": Si c'est ton "art"... / Ou du cochon moi j'ai pas d'opinion.
    J'ai pas le temps -> Reference to "J'ai pas vingt ans": Moi j'ai le temps!. I think it expresses that time flies fast, she used to be younger but now she has less and less time.
    Le regard des autres -> In "Moi... Lolita": Je vois les autres / Tout prêts à se jeter sur moi
    C'est pas de ma faute -> Again, reference to "Moi... Lolita" chorus.

La guerre en dentelles
    My association: "La guerre des chansons" by France Gall. In two lines of chorus the songs are similar:
    C'est la guerre
    La guerre des chansons

And:
    C'est la guerre des desmoiselles
    La guerre en dentelles

Si tu es un homme
    Kind of 'latin' elements:
    Je ne mène pas à Rome
    Je ne chanterai pas ton te deum
    Words like médium, sérum, décorum, erratum

Happy End
    Paradis ou enfer -> Not a reference to her past but I just wanted to point out the theme of paradise is present also in "Le dernier souffle": je t'envoie seul au paradis
    Pourquoi toujours y croire / à toutes ces histoires -> C'est trop tard! Pour l'histoire and C'est trop tard! Pour y croire in "C'est trop tard".
    Même s'il est trop tard -> "C'est trop tard" again.
    Last edited by Jazzmin; 15th December 2013 at 14:39.
    Everyone knows I'm like Jessica Rabbit
    I'm your leading lady, I gotta have it, baby

Hmm, Nice topic Jazz'.

I didin't saw that before.
    Still even if '' A cause de'lautomne'' wasn't written for Alizee directly, there are too much of things that you can refer to her i think.

Quote Originally Posted by Tario View Post
    Still even if '' A cause de'lautomne'' wasn't written for Alizee directly, there are too much of things that you can refer to her i think.
    Well, the song itself wasn't orginally written for Alizée but "A cause de l'automne" is a French translation of an English song "Never Again", the translation created specially for Alizée. (Check out this link to Ronny's website.) Even if the general meaning of the song hadn't been changed (but it probably has), one could've added many little things to the translation. It is just how translating works.

But while writing about "not referencing on purpose to previous Lili songs", I was thinking rather about "Je veux bien". The song was orginally sung by Chloé Clerc.

I'd gladly post something from "A cause de l'automne" but sadly I've got no ideas :< . If you do know what "too much of things" exactly is, wouldn't you mind posting it?

On Alizee reflection is few. But i noticed , 1 or 2 by myself. I can't show you exacly lyrical line but, every person has his own interpretations.

I think that song can be little reference to Her and Jeremy, look at this story in this song and, just think about it.

Cool thread! This album was meant to unveil her, at least more than the previous albums, so there are def plenty of references to her past. 10 ans painted a picture of Alizée's previous relationship for me... Of course, this song and the entire album are not meant to be autobiographical, but she did say that she loved the songs and that some of them looked as if she had written them herself/she wouldn't want to change anything (referring to the ideas and stuff). Well, she said something like that. Other than the more personal references, I'm sure many more can be found.

The interaction of person and art is beautiful and so interesting! I think that's a lot of what can be seen in your posts here, Jazzmin. Some of those are definitely references, but there is other stuff too, associations like you said etc. I think you should change thread name to include associations and/or somethin

Also for ACDL, I agree with both of you. Meaning will change with translations. Subtle changes/certain decisions can be made to alter meaning while still keeping the original stuffz. And yes Tario! It also made me think of them two

Oo and lol, what do you mean by queer threads?

On Alizee reflection is few.
    Yep, I know. I like Alizée-reflections very much, it's an awesome work . Really helps me to improve my French.
    But i noticed , 1 or 2 by myself. I can't show you exacly lyrical line but, every person has his own interpretations.

I think that song can be little reference to Her and Jeremy, look at this story in this song and, just think about it.
    Right. You don't have to quote exact lines, personal interpretations are really cool as well and I wish some forum members would write theirs here .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNk6Mx View Post
    I think you should change thread name to include associations and/or somethin
    The current name does not? How about "5 - analysises, associations, interpretations"?
    Quote Originally Posted by LiNk6Mx View Post
    Oo and lol, what do you mean by queer threads?
    ... Whatever . I'm glad you liked it, though.

Je veux bien
    Mais j'ai besoin de vous... -> J'??ai besoin de toi in "Lonely List". Another one (besides "un bébé comique") that sort of "polemizes" with her 3rd album: some changes of her perspective, whoever the addresee is, she surely talks to someone with whom she used to be closer but now they are more distant from each other and they call each other in a more official way. But see, she does say she still needs him.

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
    The current name does not? How about "5 - analysises, associations, interpretations"?

... Whatever . I'm glad you liked it, though.

Je veux bien
    Mais j'ai besoin de vous... -> J'’ai besoin de toi in "Lonely List". Another one (besides "un bébé comique") that sort of "polemizes" with her 3rd album: some changes of her perspective, whoever the addresee is, she surely talks to someone with whom she used to be closer but now they are more distant from each other and they call each other in a more official way. But see, she does say she still needs him.
    Yea, that sounds better! And lol did you mean queer as in strange? If so, maybe I didn't get it because I didnt find the thread strange, even though there arent that many of this sort, as u ppls said.

Formal and informal. And what you say does basically goes along with stuff she has said in interviews about Germy.. Not sure if it was done purposefully, but definitely very interesting. Ooo off the top of my head, "vivre en aquarium me rend triste" could be a reference to the early stage in her career as well as to Germy. She felt trapped in a stuffy environment and had to jump out of it to find more/free herself (career/rupture with MF). Since the song itself is about rupture/fading love, this aquarium reference also has to do with Germy, who was really important in her life (and THAT part of her life i.e. part of her life during early parts of her career). This relationship became bad, love faded, and she became sad, so she had to leave him, or wanted to. I wonder what A. would say about this stuffz lol