Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 4030 EUR, Received: 40 EUR (1%)
(*Donation progressbar standing is unconfirmed.)
If you have donated, comment in this: donation thread, so we may review it.
Unfortunately we've lost the ability to generate ad revenue, because of some links to copyrighted content, which were posted by certain members, so now we solely depend on donations to keep this site running.
Please support the website with your donation.

Any donation will help!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Military aircrafts

Default Military aircrafts

I'm really interested in all kind of military aircrafts and army things generally... so here you can post everything about military aircrafts... your favourtie aircrafts and so on...
    Here is photo of me standing in front of Mig-21MA of Slovak Air Force

I am sure that 5 years before I would love such threads about the military, but in the last 5 years I've taken a different stance on all this military stuff.

However, I think that aircraft and rockets in general are much more interesting than cars. Right now, where I am typing this, I am sitting 2m away from the Tupolev Tu-160 poster:

Such a beautiful aircraft this is, and also impressive! Kuznetsov NK-321 engines are the most powerful engines ever to be put on a combat aircraft!
    The cruise speed of this beauty is 960 km/h and its top speed is over mach 2 (2000 - 2200 km/h), which is just under the top speed of Mig21 (mach 2.1).

Another favorite beast of mine is the Mig25:

The top speed of this aircraft is about 2.8 mach (it can go up to 3.2 mach, which is over 3000 km/h, but typically it wasn't allowed past the 2.5 mach barrier). This aircraft has set several speed and altitude records, some of which still stand. It is noted for being the first aircraft in history to reach the altitude of 35000m.

Majority of the on-board avionics on the Mig25 was created using vacuum tubes instead of solid-state electronics, which made the aircraft more tolerant to extreme temperatures and also to electromagnetic pulses from nuclear blasts

Yet another favorite beast of mine: Antonov 225:

From Wikipedia: "It is generally acknowledged as the largest airplane in the world; it is the heaviest aircraft with a gross weight of 640 tonnes and the biggest heavier-than-air aircraft in terms of length and wingspan in operational service."
    Only one has been ever built, its primary task was to carry the Buran space shuttle:
    Last edited by Matevz91; 26th December 2012 at 19:14. Reason: Added some interesting facts
    Average art pleases, good art improves, best art haunts.

Amazing aircrafts... I have lot of pictures and some posters of various aircrafts such as Mig-29, 21, 23, Su-22, L-39, F-16, F-8, Su-25... from magazines right next to pictures of Alizee and Mylene

I have to say that I never really looked at military aircraft as weapons (except in video games), that is, as means of destruction, but rather as engineering achievements. I am interested mainly in the speed, range, cargo capacity, electronics and also (don't laugh ) the look of the airplane, that is perhaps why I like planes like Tupolev-160 and Mig-25, because these are the planes that pushed the frontiers of aeronautics and they also look good

As for the "beauty" of a plane, I found out that in general I find the look of a typical eastern ("eastern" in the cold war terminology) military aircraft more harmonious (and thus more attractive when compared to a typical western military aircraft, perhaps because they look more natural (Tu-160 resembling a goose for example).

F16 (bottom) and Mig29 (top)

It can be quite strange when one first realizes that the process of introducing a aircraft into use is much longer than just a couple of years (before I thought about that I measured everything against the computer industry and how frequently new things were introduced there). For example, Sukhoi PAK FA (5th generation jet fighter,https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sukhoi_PAK_FA) was introduced in 2010 at the MAKS airshow and is due to be put into service only in 2015/2016
    Last edited by Matevz91; 28th December 2012 at 19:30.

I like to see military aircrafts in peace... patrol flights, parades, acrobatic shows and so on. It is a shame to see all those photos of wrecks... This Iraqi Mig-29 as example, such a beautiful machine and here it is lies totally destroyed somwhere in the desert...

I just want to say that I like army things, but I like them in the peace. You can see how kids like all military hardware from assault rifles to aircrafts, but in war all changes... these thing no longer bring fascination and smile into children eyes, they bring sadness and terror! I know it from myself as I'm writing this I'm wearing uniform although I have never been in the army. This video always bring tears into my eyes because when I see all those wars and catastrophies I'm so glad that I can live in peace.

Quote Originally Posted by MacTavish View Post
    I like to see military aircrafts in peace... patrol flights, parades, acrobatic shows and so on. It is a shame to see all those photos of wrecks... This Iraqi Mig-29 as example, such a beautiful machine and here it is lies totally destroyed somwhere in the desert...

I just want to say that I like army things, but I like them in the peace. You can see how kids like all military hardware from assault rifles to aircrafts, but in war all changes... these thing no longer bring fascination and smile into children eyes, they bring sadness and terror! I know it from myself as I'm writing this I'm wearing uniform although I have never been in the army. This video always bring tears into my eyes because when I see all those wars and catastrophies I'm so glad that I can live in peace.
    I agree with you and understand what you are talking about. Unfortunately, out there are people, who are not like you or me, who are more likely to listen to people like Joseph Goebbels: "Ich frage euch: Wollt ihr den totalen Krieg? Wollt ihr ihn, wenn nötig, totaler und radikaler, als wir ihn uns heute überhaupt erst vorstellen können?" than to people who are against war.

Do you think, that we will see another european war or something of that kind in our lifetime?
    Last edited by Matevz91; 28th December 2012 at 19:29.

I hope not, but who expected such bloody war in Yugoslavia? Things change really fast, but I think that Europe learned something from these 2 wars... shame is that we needed 2 wars to understand why we should not fight anymore. It was great that cold war never gone "hot". The power of nuclear weapons is not in their total destruction effect but in the effect of the fear. Both sides was affraid of absolute destruction. Worst thing about war is that young men are killing each other just because some politic bollocks and ideals, but in peace they could become friends, maybe they like same things. Wars will end when soldiers will refuse fight! But that will probably never happen.
    Here is another of my videos dedicated to soldiers who can be called true heroes! I'm going to make another video cause I have lot of footage. I will post it in the chat.

Imagine how awesome it could be to fly some aircraft, such as this Mig-29 of Slovak Air Force while listening to A Contre-courant or XXL

I hope not, but who expected such bloody war in Yugoslavia? Things change really fast, but I think that Europe learned something from these 2 wars... shame is that we needed 2 wars to understand why we should not fight anymore. It was great that cold war never gone "hot". The power of nuclear weapons is not in their total destruction effect but in the effect of the fear. Both sides was affraid of absolute destruction. Worst thing about war is that young men are killing each other just because some politic bollocks and ideals, but in peace they could become friends, maybe they like same things. Wars will end when soldiers will refuse fight! But that will probably never happen.
    Here is another of my videos dedicated to soldiers who can be called true heroes! I'm going to make another video cause I have lot of footage. I will post it in the chat.
    I agree with your way of thinking thinking. Check this what I have written half a year ago in another thread regarding the military budget:

Quote Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
    It is great that we have tackled the topic of military spending. As we all know, there is no such thing as being black or white, the same goes to military spending;
    It is well known that the foundation of the British empire was its navy, and that in the 18th and 19th century navy was propelling British industrial revolution (from here we can learn about the possible positive role of military spending, because the money that was invested into the royal navy was being returned in the way of jobs, industrial progress, ...)

And what about the negative side of military spending? Of course, a sure-fire example would be war itself, but I have something else in mind - excessive military spending, of which there are plenty examples in the history. I decided against using US as an example and will instead focus on the Soviet Union;

I will not go into details, as Khruschevs military reforms are well documented, as is his military doctrine which was based on the post-war conditions (when nuclear war was a real threat) to abolish entire army altogether (> 10 million enlisted personnel in 1953), leaving only enough nuclear weapons(that is ~200 in early 1960s, USA had at that time more than 19-times as much nuclear weapons) and small professional army to protect strategic centres.

I will start with Stalin`s "great plan" - he always wanted to be as big as Peter the Great, to have a large navy and to rule the oceans. When Germans captured Nikolayev docks and blockaded Leningrad, this plan was halted and restarted shortly after the war. Also Admiral Kuznetsov had a dream; to "raise the flag on the sea higher as the Americans" and thus he was ready to defend Stalin`s plans for a new navy with any means necessary.

It is remarkable that Stalin`s plan (and Kuznetsov`s dream) of building a large, ocean-going navy, was cancelled (in 1954, after Stalin died). The cost of building such a navy was estimated at 100 billion roubles (yet alone operating it, for example when the Black Sea fleet went to sea, the same amount of money was spent as if entire Ukraine was plundered for several months). Khruschev stated that military is there to protect the people, not the other way around (and that the lack of foreign currency is forcing them when buying abroad to give priority to industrial goods rather than consumer goods).

His military reforms included gradual shrinking of enlisted personnel (from 10 millions in 1953 to 2 millions in 1960 if I am correct), minimisation of expenditures for military research (that is, long range bombers, conventional weapons, ... ) and redirection of money into submarines, missiles and nuclear weapons, thus forcing big research bureaus (like Tupolev`s, Antonov`s, ...) into either civilian production/research or other branches of military research (and thus creating among other things the opportunity for space research). These reforms caused some people to loose their jobs (mainly those who worked in the military, older cadres) and I don`t know how these problems were solved (mass retirements probably), but national budget was finally relieved of the heavy burden...

Yeah, perhaps in some other history, but in reality, these reforms were stopped in 1964 when Brežnjev came to power (who wanted to restore "former Stalin`s glory" and to undo what this "corn-pusher", as Khruschev was called afterwards, had done to "national pride").

We must remember, that Khruschev`s reforms only make sense in the cold war, when Soviet Union was surrounded by NATO bases (Italy, Turkey, ...), from where nuclear weapons could reach almost any part of the country, and it`s only strategy of defence was to bluff and focus on research as fast and efficient possible, while at the same time try to improve living conditions and general state of the country and its industry. It was purely a defensive doctrine, where nuclear weapons would serve only as a deterrent against foreign aggression (it was estimated that what they already have was enough to keep even USA from attacking them).

Well, things ended as they ended (13000 warheads in 1990, when US had "only" 12000 warheads in the same year, a ocean-going navy, "strong army", ... and looted and destroyed whole country, exactly what they feared in 1950s when the doctrine was put in practice).

With this two examples I wanted to say that no matter what we decide (that military spending is bad/good), reality is never black and white, and most importantly, every solution we come with can work as planed only in certain conditions (for example, Khruschev`s doctrine has no use today (at least not in its original form)).

And yes, I wrote these things from my head and certain facts may be wrong (although not too off), history books cover these areas much better than my memory, so resort to them instead of relying on what I wrote
    Regarding Chernobyl workers, I will make sure that I am subscribed to your youtube channel.

Do you have any advanced knowledge of aeronautics? Do you want to be a pilot?

Oh, I wish I could become pilot, but in Slovakia? We have very small airforce, and my physical condition is not the best and I also have strong glasses. Maybe if I lived in USA, I would become grond crew in airforce or navy, that is work that would be really great for me, maintenance of aircrafts and so on... my father is making models of ground equipment of US Navy and USAF such as fire extinguishers, tractors for pulling planes, or tool boxes, everything that is on airfield near the planes. Amazing reading of your post. Lot of people say that we can disband army and give money for food and so on. But there is problem! When you have big army you need to employ lot of peoples from tailors who make uniforms to peoples in factories that make tanks. And if you disband army what these people will do? Do you have some other job for them? No... Slovakia used to have large military industry. Many wrecked Iraqi tanks that you saw on pictures from Iraq was made in factory that is 100 km from my town. We suplied Africa, Asia, Middle East.... so this is the problem, army emlploy lot of people! But you don't need war to get these peoples employed, even in peace there is always demand on military hardware from uniforms to guided missiles.

Mylene and Czechoslovak Air Force is great combination

Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn lapinschous's Avatar

Dassault Rafale french technology all the way! =D

I didn't know there was so many pilots among alizée fans! Scruffy, me, two other guys from the airschool... lol
    Last edited by lapinschous; 12th January 2013 at 18:43.
    "Les baisers d'Alizée sont de vraies gourmandises..." and her smile is made of pure beauty, magic and faith in humanity...
    SUBSCRIBE

I love Rafale, the best aircraft from the new generation of fighters... and very beautiful I have few pictures of Mirages (2000 and F1) next to Alizee on my wall...

I love Rafale, the best aircraft from the new generation of fighters... and very beautiful I have few pictures of Mirages (2000 and F1) next to Alizee on my wall...
    Oh really? Me too! Have you watched the french movie Les Chevaliers du Ciel? I've watched it 18 times! You'd love it

Btw , I'm in love with Mig 21 , they're probably the coolest russian fighters of the XX th century! So much power! =O
    "Les baisers d'Alizée sont de vraies gourmandises..." and her smile is made of pure beauty, magic and faith in humanity...
    SUBSCRIBE

Yes I saw Les Chevaliers du Ciel great movie! I saw it in original French, I love France, your language, movies, history, culture, aircrafts... I was raised on French commedies with Louis de Funes and lot of other great commedians... My favourite French movie is probably 7eme compagnie with Pierre Mondy I'm learining French on my own now... but I must take some lessons in future because it's not easy to learn language on your own, I will learn more and one day I will to go to the France and I hope that I will stay there! Viva la France!

Aww , this is touching. =') I personnally love slavic cultures, history and way of thinking with determination and courage, my grandfather was half czech and fought alongside Alexander Dubcek during the velvet revolt

unfortunately people in France are losing their culture... The US are winning the cultural war ^^' , we need more people like you ,lol

Nech žije Slovensko!
    SUBSCRIBE

Mirages and Mig 21 are the most famous delta wings aircrafts! My grandmother is Czech, so I'm Czechoslovak... I like Czechoslovakia more than just Czech and Slovak republic, pity that we splited. Here is photo of my my room... note the Czechoslovak flag next to the French one in my penholder

Woah i'm jealous of all those big posters! For the moment i mostly have magazine poster => DSC06511.jpg

I'll be getting this one next week !

France and Czechoslovakia allies for ever !

When you'll come to France , my door will always be open for you my friend!
    Angehängte Grafiken Angehängte Grafiken
    SUBSCRIBE

Perfect picture! Alpha Jet is great aircraft! Do you know L-39 Albatros? Czechoslovakian trainer aircraft... used by over 30 air forces around the world. East German L-39 on the picture.

All of my posters are from magazines, I want to get Mirage III and F-4 Phantom... so together with Mig 21 I will have the "big three of the sixties", Mig 21 showed it's quality in Vietnam, the Mirage III and other great French machines like Dassault Mystere series was tested in fight during Arab-Israeli conflicts, and F-4 Phantom was used in many conflicts like Vietnam, Arab-Israeli wars, Iraq-Iran war... BTW did you know that in 80s there was a deal to sell Mirage 2000s to Iraq? But USSR offered cheaper Mig-29s in 1987 to Iraq so deal with France was cancelled, Iraqis used Mirage F1 a lot in 80s against Iran and Iraq also had 5 Dassault Super Etendards in lease, but only 4 or 3 returned back to France. Here is a very rare photo of Super Etendard in Iraq:

Do you know L-39 Albatros? Czechoslovakian trainer aircraft... used by over 30 air forces around the world.

BTW did you know that in 80s there was a deal to sell Mirage 2000s to Iraq? But USSR offered cheaper Mig-29s in 1987 to Iraq so deal with France was cancelled, Iraqis used Mirage F1 a lot in 80s against Iran and Iraq also had 5 Dassault Super Etendards in lease, but only 4 or 3 returned back to France
    Yeah I know the Albatros! I've seen it in an acrobatic team for an airshow meeting a few years ago ^^

Haha, yeah i've heard of it in the 60's to 90's France was selling a lot of planes to the middle east , but now we've become too expensive for the market , that's why it's difficult to sell the rafale! Israel owned Mirage III , Super Mystere and Vautours , and the opposite side (Jordan, Egypt, Iran, Iraq) owned Mirages F1 , M2000 , Mirage III as well... hahaha

Here's some good material of the new generation

SUBSCRIBE