Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 4030 EUR, Received: 40 EUR (1%)
(*Donation progressbar standing is unconfirmed.)
If you have donated, comment in this: donation thread, so we may review it.
Unfortunately we've lost the ability to generate ad revenue, because of some links to copyrighted content, which were posted by certain members, so now we solely depend on donations to keep this site running.
Please support the website with your donation.

Any donation will help!

Thread: How can an active user be banned from AF?

Default How can an active user be banned from AF?

I just saw that robertrhein got banned... why?

EDIT: even though the matter might seem simple to some, it isn't to me, as I believe Robert wasn't a spam bot (if he was, AI has really advanced and it has thus passed the Turing test for me). Detailed explanation requested, together with the explanation why this decission wasn't posted in this subforum.

EDIT2: And why was Mike with 3,641 posts banned?

Last edited by Matevz91; 22nd December 2012 at 00:43.
    Average art pleases, good art improves, best art haunts.

? Contre-Courant FanPage Staff
    VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

That is odd, and we are trying to figure out what the story is here. I last gave him an infraction in August. That infraction thread exists.

Mods and admins can't find the infraction thread created for the CURRENT infraction/ban, if indeed there was one consciously made, and by normal MO. I haven't had reason to ban anybody. btw, whenever someone is banned or given an infraction, a thread is created for mods and admins. Even if the post/thread is deleted the mods and admins can still see it.

So, please give some time to investigate, and we will get down to it. (no use commenting until we know what happened) Sometimes it may be by mistake, when banning a spammer and the wrong post may have been checked off . But we'll check Nothing sinister, no worries. Everyone is good :-)
    Last edited by Orion; 22nd December 2012 at 03:46. Reason: clarified highlighted
    POWERED BY ALIZ?E

NO FUTURE__Earth Song__NO END

Le dernier souffle FanPage Staff
    Moderator (DE)
    Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
    EDIT2: And why was Mike with 3,641 posts banned?

Oh I can explain you this. He ASKED for it. Literally. He was a really loyal fan of Alizée and (I guess when the 4th album came out or so, I can't remember) he stopped loving her. And he wanted to leave and get banned and I told him that I wouldn't ban him. I told him he could just leave and it would be alright. So he started being rude and insulted mods etc. and I kicked him out. I wasn't happy about this but it looks like he was...
    Alizée & Les Enfoirés - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 (videos here)
    29/03/2013
    ...10 ans... fan depuis 2003... fan pour toujours...
    ​​​​​
    "No story lives unless someone wants to listen... the stories we love the best do live in us forever.
    So, whether you come back by page or by big screen - Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home" - J. K. Rowling
    http://alizeegermany.tumblr.com/

Default My thoughts on this matter...

I know, Orion, you've mentioned that posting here would be fruitless until everything gets cleared, but I think that I need to explain myself, why I've had such a strong reaction to bans of previously active members.

Feel free to delete what I will write here, if you deem it inappropriate for this thread or out of any other solid reason.

As I can learn from Robert's last posts and visitor messages, he got quite disturbing, got in heated arguments and overall did everything I wouldn't want to do (his posts were sometimes plain silly and redundant [as are also mine most of the time], he was making an elephant out of an mouse with his overprotection of Annily, ...), thus giving mods all the reasons to ban him.

But... you know, there were times when only he and ridingthewave posted here on AF and it was really nice coming here and seeing at least someone post something, thus making the forum seem active and thus attractive to both new and old users, even though nothing was really going on. And I know that some of you might yell "get a life!" at me, but I would like you to know that I have a life - and this forum is now a part of my life. Therefore there is nothing worse than seeing it being dead and also seing people, with whom I share my experience and whom I accepted to be part of my "Alizée family", being banned.

1)
    Therefore, from a purely utilitarianist viewpoint (together with all of the criticism of utilitarianism), ban of Robert was not a positive act (as is also this thread, but I will cover this point later later), as it will serve as a possible deterrent to people who are considering joining this forum and be active here, because of the fact that an active user can be banned here and also because of the fact that this forum will now be even less active than it was before.

Next, you might have already learned from my posts that I value progress of each and every individual (as long as I approve of the direction of his/her progress, of course ). If I remember correctly, Robert is a painter. Perhaps he might be talked into painting instead of making videos --> not I hope only Alizée-themed works, but all kinds of works in which Alizée-ish philosophy might be found, even though if there is no apparent connection to her, thus slowly introducting her to people and into places unheard of before. This might include (but not being limited to) working with other people who incorporate her in any possible way into their works or perhaps just painting random stuff he likes and arranging exhibitions (thus using the "professional" part of his "professional painter" occupation).

I know that believing that everyone on AF has the will and time to produce something (and promote Alizée at the same time) or that everyone cares as much as I do about keeping this forum alive and having great discussions on it borders to utopia. And still, I do believe that we should encourage people towards learning and doing such things, instead of leaving them alone in their actions and thus making them follow ordinary course of actions in such situations, when one is left alone (creating tons of nearly useless youtube videos or write meaningless poems or...), just because they cannot find their own unique way, and then get rid of them when they go nuts.
    I myself am ready to help others find their way in such things on this forum, I also hope that I will be greated with some good words should I come with ideas of my own, even if only with words of hope, for I am only a man and kind words do miracles, even if they come from somebody you met only online (in this case, on AF).

2)
    Therefore, now when Robert is banned, we have 1 member less, who has the ability to create works and to support others, with either deeds or just kind words.

No member is lost until he is lost is my motto in such communities and therefore we should think, was there anything we could have done for him to direct his passion towards Alizée into more fruitful works and not instead into (possible) delusions and defensive maneuvers which at the end resulted in him being banned in my opinion.

+1)
    Does that, what I wrote above, have any credibility at all? No, not exactly. But I used to be a admin myself, although not on a forum, but in a Facebook group, back then when FB groups still had forums. Believe me, administering a FB group is no easier than administering a full forum.
    The particular property of the group I used to take care of (together with other admins of course) is that it originally served as a hub, in which people from various backgrounds and convictions would meet and educate themselves before moving to more specific groups (for example those which were later connected with the Occupy Wallstreet movement or Libyan uprising). We had everything, from extreme activists to analyst, people with similar goals but totally different ideas on how to establish those goals, people with passion and also random dudes who were around just to argue ("debate" as they put it), with a healthy dose of spammers and flamers of course.
    ... and yet we managed to create a atmosphere in which we were able to discuss (more or less), we created projects (some of them live even today and I am particularly proud of them). At that time I got my first real experience of internationalism, how it feels like talking to all kinds of people of different races, religions, convictions - Palestinians, Libyans, Americans, Indians, Pakistani, Vietnamese , ... and I also got my first experiences of what means to ban a member of a community and what are the consequences to the community if you ban someone who isn't a full-time flamer or a spamer and how some people can be totally lost in their own world if you don't at least partially help them (age means nothing here).

... and yet, is everything that I wrote above false and I am just deluded? Perhaps.
    Last edited by Orion; 24th December 2012 at 03:44.

Le dernier souffle FanPage Staff
    Moderator (DE)
    Administrator

ok, robertrhein was definitely banned accidentally , I hope he can forgive us...
    Alizée & Les Enfoirés - 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 (videos here)
    29/03/2013
    ...10 ans... fan depuis 2003... fan pour toujours...
    ​​​​​
    "No story lives unless someone wants to listen... the stories we love the best do live in us forever.
    So, whether you come back by page or by big screen - Hogwarts will always be there to welcome you home" - J. K. Rowling
    http://alizeegermany.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny_HRO87 View Post
    ok, robertrhein was definitely banned accidentally , I hope he can forgive us...
    Will he come back????

EDIT: I hope he will not get mad at me for what I wrote some posts above...
    Last edited by Matevz91; 29th December 2012 at 03:39.

There is one way for an active user to be banned from AF - he asks to be banned. I am going to use this way here; hereby I ask the mods of this forum to ban me.

EDIT: Due to request of one of the mods, I don't ask to be banned anymore, purely out of respect.

Bye all!
    Last edited by Matevz91; 8th January 2013 at 21:37.

? Contre-Courant FanPage Staff
    VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
    There is one way for an active user to be banned from AF - he asks to be banned. I am going to use this way here; hereby I ask the mods of this forum to ban me.

EDIT: Due to request of one of the mods, I don't ask to be banned anymore, purely out of respect.

Bye all!
    You cannot be banned by mods or admins, by simply asking for it.

Only in very special and specific circumstances can a member's account be closed or deleted (which is what you are really asking for).

After a long enough period of having a dormant account, innactive members will get their accounts closed/deleted, after they first receive a notice of intent.