Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 4030 EUR, Received: 40 EUR (1%)
(*Donation progressbar standing is unconfirmed.)
If you have donated, comment in this: donation thread, so we may review it.
Unfortunately we've lost the ability to generate ad revenue, because of some links to copyrighted content, which were posted by certain members, so now we solely depend on donations to keep this site running.
Please support the website with your donation.

Any donation will help!

Thread: Your favorite musical instruments

Default Your favorite musical instruments

Its hard to find a forum without this thread, but we seem to be lacking it, so I created it also here.

The question is simple - what are your favorite musical instruments?
    (including electronic instruments, various keyboards, everything you can think of!)

My favorite instruments are:
    • violin (viola and cello are also my favorites)
    • synthesizer
    • bass guitar

Of course, voice of Alizée is also very beautiful, but it is quite hard to reproduce it without her being present.

EDIT: List of musical instruments can be found here List_of_musical_instruments
    Last edited by Matevz91; 14th December 2012 at 16:28.
    Average art pleases, good art improves, best art haunts.

Toc De Mac Alizée Fan CarlosInOZ's Avatar

at the moment it has to be the trumpet, i've been checking out a few versions of my recent song-of-the-day
    entry and it reminded me of this Song from a concert i posted a while back in the Spanish Section.

...ps I've been checking out a few versions of A&J's Version too now. i can't get the In Berlin one to play,
    must be Ultra HD or something.

? Contre-Courant FanPage Staff
    VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

I must say that I love the violin, piano and acoustic guitar. . . this world would not be the same without them.
    POWERED BY ALIZ?E

NO FUTURE__Earth Song__NO END

Quote Originally Posted by CarlosInOZ View Post
    at the moment it has to be the trumpet,...
    Its nice to see at least one who likes the trumpet! I personally don't like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    I must say that I love the violin, piano and acoustic guitar. . . this world would not be the same without them.
    Yeah, without acoustic guitars we probably wouldn't have to put up with Taylor Swift and her constant cries about how she is being hurt in love, with One direction and numerous other mass-produced corporate pop music bands, although I am not sure if eliminating guitars from the human history would solve this corporate and shallow cancer...

Hehe, I am blaiming the guitars for being overused in crappy-pop, which makes as much sense as blaiming the shovels for all the bad things that were done when using them in the history - alas, it makes no sense. However, I do state that guitars are generally overused today. How many instruments are out there, in European classical music, in Asian classical music, in electric and electronic music, ... even instruments yet to be made... and we are in our ordinary lives confined only to a very small subset of them!

Each and every acoustic instrument can be played in many many different ways, using many different tunings, can be created out of different materials and thus sound different and unique; equivalent can also be said about electronic and electric (and possibly other forms of) instruments.

Some time ago I heard the tale of one African king going visiting Vienna in the 19th century, where he was invited to a classical concert. After the concert everyone around him was ecstatic, while he was indifferent, as he was perceiving European classical music in a different way. He said that he heard nothing special, that they were just repeating the same progression of sounds, the same melody, over and over again. Later, European classical music merged with African music and produced Jazz, from which majority of our modern ("Western") music came from.
    However, instruments are only tools. Modern piano may be the basic instrument of European classical music, but it is totally unusable for native African music, nobody can force you not to play the violin in arabic tuning in the quasy-guitar mode, as violin is a continous instrument and guitar is a semi-continous instrument and thus you can aproximate one on another, but you can't aproximate a discrete instrument such as drums with a continous instrument such as the violin (I am using my own terminology here, my understanding can be of course wrong).
    What I want to say is that the instruments are tied to a particular philosophy. Medieval church banned much of the human aspects of music and focused only on very narrow musical realms, while African musical philosophy was totally different from for example Mongolian or Indian. I cannot help but to wonder, what else is hidden out there in our world and in our future, what kind of philosophies on which music of the future will be based...

Whatever, I am already tired of the guitar and the piano in the role of the lead instruments, but there seems nothing capable of replacing them... beeeeeeeee!

By the way, as I have already stated, there really is something different in Boutonnat works until 2008 (therefore also in Gourmandises and MCE)... a different philosophy from what we are accustomed to in our everyday life, partially because of his use of synthé instruments, but also because of the way his music itself progresses. Every his composition is a story in itself (I am talking only about the music here, not the lyrics) and besides he never really overused any instrument (except for the low-frequency parts, but I totally love them so I won't complain about them ). He is the measure by which I judge all music, non-commercial and commercial alike.

In some other life, where I am composing music, I would strip the piano, guitars and drums of their lead roles and use them as equalls to all other instruments. Next, I would research unknown forms of music (theoreticall (algorithmic) and also practicall, for example music of Siberian eskimos, tribes in South America, ...) and try to find out whether I could make use of some of their instruments and some of their philosophy. And of course, music is not about the instruments, it is about the music itself and what is behind it - I would focus on imagination instead of reproduction, make use of the power music has over living beings and try to influence the way people think through music, if nothing else, at least make them observe and think more.

As CarlosInOZ, I will also post a link to the music behind this post: (Vangelis, Jean Michele Jarre)
    Last edited by Matevz91; 15th December 2012 at 02:52.

Mylène Farmer covered Schubert's Ave Maria back in 2008. This got me thinking...

One of the most lovely instruments out there is the harp... can the harp replace instruments like piano as the lead instrument? Surely!

You changed my life.... Merci Alizée's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
    Is this type of music called the Carnatic music? I think that I prefer the Hindustani music, as one can feel Arabic influences in it (and I really like Arab music).

What sort of instruments from the Indian music do you like the most?

Drums, are my favorite instrument, but I also like violin (not a fan) but I like how it sounds
    veni, vedi, vici!

Blog Entries

I think piano have the most beuatiful sound. Aand ofc flute, I played it in music for few years!
    I don't sign anything anymore.

Amélie's Fed Up in Autumn lapinschous's Avatar

Well , i'll admit that my favorite instruments are the ones i'm playing ^^ : Piano, Guitar , Drums and Saxophone (voice as well) ;^p
    "Les baisers d'Alizée sont de vraies gourmandises..." and her smile is made of pure beauty, magic and faith in humanity...
    SUBSCRIBE

You changed my life.... Merci Alizée's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Matevz91 View Post
    Is this type of music called the Carnatic music? I think that I prefer the Hindustani music, as one can feel Arabic influences in it (and I really like Arab music).

What sort of instruments from the Indian music do you like the most?
    I don't think it's Carnatic music. Carnatic music is more common in Southern India and Hari Prasad Chaurasia is a north Indian.

I never had much interest in music. So, there aren't many preferences for me. However I like flute a lot.

pedal steel guitar

You're my heart, you're my soul
    I'll keep it shining everywhere I go
    You're my heart, you're my soul
    I'll be holding you forever
    Stay with you together

Quote Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
    I don't think it's Carnatic music. Carnatic music is more common in Southern India and Hari Prasad Chaurasia is a north Indian.

I never had much interest in music. So, there aren't many preferences for me. However I like flute a lot.
    Yep, I checked, Hari Prasad Chaurasia composes Hindustani music. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by th1 View Post
    pedal steel guitar

Judging by the smiley you posted - I understand why such emotions.

Toc De Mac Alizée Fan CarlosInOZ's Avatar

it's ALWAYS samedis bonheur around here ! check out my New Trumpet i picked
    up at a yard sale today

The Last One Standing Señor Villa's Avatar

I like to dj every now and then and using the turntables is my favorite instrument

Alizée Fan VIP / Donator Magellan's Avatar

My favourite musical instruments at the moment is the lapsteel guitar. Such a soulful instrument if played by someone with talent.

Last edited by Magellan; 23rd April 2017 at 13:16.

http://www.last.fm/user/NDBrennan

'Le futur appartient à ceux qui croient en beauté de leurs rêves.'