Donate Now Goal amount for this year: 4030 EUR, Received: 40 EUR (1%)
(*Donation progressbar standing is unconfirmed.)
If you have donated, comment in this: donation thread, so we may review it.
Unfortunately we've lost the ability to generate ad revenue, because of some links to copyrighted content, which were posted by certain members, so now we solely depend on donations to keep this site running.
Please support the website with your donation.

Any donation will help!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: We're all doomed and the world is f***ed up...

? Contre-Courant FanPage Staff
    VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

Right now, it is solely a middle eastern event. . . .

here in North America, people get to vote every few years . . they get to purchase everything they want on credit . . . they get to complain and elect new members of government . . . they get health care, they get roads, and hospitals free schools, and the op to get higher education. They get the freedom to erect churches and mosques, and synagogues . . . they get to speak out against the leadership, and they get a governm,ent that tries to create an infrastructure to support families and the middle class and the economy, in turn. They get all this AND more . . and yet they still get the freedom to complain. They get the freedom to complain about high oil and gas prices, without realizing that somebody actually has to search, extract and deliver the resources they are burning up every day, and wasting too.

They get all this . . . they get to do all this and still have the freedom to fix things and seek out a better syetem with time. It does not take a dictaotr and 40+ years of being ruled by a despot and criminal to achieve all this. HERE, it does not take a long awakening fro a long coma to seek change and better ourselves. We do not base everything on religious zeal and rhetoric by it. We have democracy and we have capitalism . . . not perfect, but we perfect ourselves and our state in time and learn from mistakes. Is it all ignornance, or a form of self worth that is ill concieved from the constant freedoms we enjoy . . . . and rtake advantage of, by the raping of our lands and the nature all around us, from the oceans to the farthest reaches of the worlds endangered rainforests and delicate ecosystems . . . . WE consume, while middle easterners and 3rd world countries are being consumed by dictators and religion; for where there is no infrastructure there is no growth and things remain stale . .. where there is lack of sound judgement due to brainwashed minds society becomes stale and like a new rug that is never washed, simply becomes darker and darker as all the rich colours fade away.
    POWERED BY ALIZ?E

NO FUTURE__Earth Song__NO END

Quote Originally Posted by cjambrose View Post
    But I don't think this is solely a 'Middle Eastern' event. I think it will spread to Europe and elsewhere (in fact, Iceland, Ireland, France, Greece, etc. have already seen some of this). It may even spread to the U.S. as the 'have nots' realize that they have been 'had', so to speak. Marie Antoinette: "Let them eat cake." Well, she lost her head (literally) over that remark.
    We will not see same kind of riots in Western World. The situation here is completely different. Hopefully the events will turn out to be change to more modern society, something what we in West have already have.

Unfortunately this might also be turn to worse, as groups like Muslim brotherhood might get more power.

Alizée Fan

I respectfully disagree. Granted, the Western world is vastly different from the Middle East (and Russia and the Far East), but people are people and human nature is human nature and an empty stomach/no job is an empty stomach/no job, regardless of the nationality, race or geography. As things continue to fall apart, I predict that we will see riots like this in the Western world. I hope not. That is my opinion. Let's see ...

Regarding brainwashed minds, I view the Western world as having a populace with completely brainwashed minds (thanks to the nature of the financial elite, mass media TV/radio/newspapers, government, etc.). The people in the West are easily told what to think, how to vote, what to buy, what to eat, etc. ... as if that were 'good' and 'normal' (some of it may be and some of it may not be). We just happen to have a better standard of living, that is all (at least for the moment we do). That is the only reason that we do not have riots like this currently in the U.S. The only reason. Brainwashing is brainwashing and every government needs to control the proles. Every government ...

I think that the key to salvation of future problems is the reduction of population growth. West is in quite good situation, as we (at least here in Europe) already have declining population, though immigration keeps population growing in some countries. China's population will start to decline soon and hopefully India will follow that trend.

Alizée Fan

Actually, I totally agree you. We are reaching the Malthusian limits of the Earth's ecosystem.

VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

In the west, it's not abut brain washing. It's about blind consumption. In the east it is all about brainwashing and religious bias and 3rd world mentality. Western consumers are ignorant, not brain washed.

I could go on and explain, but nobody here will be raising my GPA for this essay
    POWERED BY ALIZ?E

You changed my life.... Merci Alizée's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    In the west, it's not abut brain washing. It's about blind consumption. In the east it is all about brainwashing and religious bias and 3rd world mentality. Western consumers are ignorant, not brain washed.

I could go on and explain, but nobody here will be raising my GPA for this essay
    World is not as simple as you described just now.

You are way more experienced than me and must have seen more than me, but I still feel that you need to know more especially about the east.
    Last edited by Merci Alize; 25th February 2011 at 21:26.

Ignorant of what and compared to whom? What people are better informed than "westerners" about the realities of living, what is going on in the world, scientifically speaking, what the world is and how it functions, etc.? Maybe we in the US are not the best educated in the world and maybe as a country we are relatively self-centered, but compared to 3rd world/religiously zealous/tradition locked/authoritarian governed peoples who can't afford or don't care to afford themselves public education, journalism, science, how could they possibly be anything other than more ignorant than we, by the millions or billions?

Still, I agree about blind consumption. We get used to a certain life style and then we don't care how it comes to us. But I really doubt that you can say that anyone else is somehow in a better position with regard to that. They might not have the means to consume blindly, but just as soon as they do, you see it in a shocking light. Just think about how we talk of people destroying rain forest for agriculture. We make the argument that ultimately it is foolish. Or how people are fishing fish out of existence and their argument is that they do it to make a living. Unsustainable. What people who are educated enough to have a choice are not "consuming" blindly? In what developing nation does it even seem to be a consideration let alone do they do a better job of considering the environment than "westerners"? Old traditional societies maybe do, but modernizing societies, I doubt it. Now we are trying to change and make more of an issue of intentional sustainability. There are a lot of stupid people everywhere, granted, but that is a human condition. Societally, I don't think ignorance is really our problem either. Then again, maybe I'm biased since I have both had that "Indian" religion upbringing (a bit untraditional for these parts, even if trendy when my parents latched onto it) and in recent years I have started paying more attention to areas outside of my country, even if still mostly "western". Still, it seems like people have become more open and knowledgeable in recent decades around here.

To sort of acknowledge Merci Alizée's point, I'll say that I'm just not sure how productive it is to label things as eastern and western. There is a certain sensibility to it. It's sort of true that things are typically eastern or typically western, but we are talking about half the planet in each case, right? Talk about simplification.

Slightly more specific, it is hard to think of "the middle-east" without thinking of a hot bead of conflict for (depending on how you look at it) several decades or a couple millenia. The U.S. has had no serious lasting conflict within it's borders for what, 150 years? Luck? What's the point? Um. I don't know. Is it possible to have "peace in the middle east"? Not in my life time.

VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

I just got in, and I will talk more about this later, but just to make clear, I refer to those that suffer under a dictator ( speaking of the middle east saga) and are afraid and thus brainwashed into submission . . . It is a BIG difference between the east and west mentality, and why I mentioned religious zeal you will find in Islamist lands, etc. . . . sort of like how western Christian society will not be as vindictive towards someone that spoke badly of Jesus v. someone that makes a poor cartoon about Mohammad, etc. It's that little hint that something else is gpoing on in Eastern Islamist lands. it's more complicated than this, though, and goes much deeper.

later dudes I must go eat . . . . . . mmmmmm pizza!
    POWERED BY ALIZ?E

Alizée, c'est l'odyssée Ridingthewave's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Last edited by Ridingthewave; 5th December 2014 at 02:59.

I just got in, and I will talk more about this later, but just to make clear, I refer to those that suffer under a dictator ( speaking of the middle east saga) and are afraid and thus brainwashed into submission . . . It is a BIG difference between the east and west mentality, and why I mentioned religious zeal you will find in Islamist lands, etc.
    When we speak about West and East we should remember that some "eastern" countries are more "western" than many countries in Europe.

VIP / Donator
    Moderator (EN)
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merci Alizée View Post
    World is not as simple as you described just now.

You are way more experienced than me and must have seen more than me, but I still feel that you need to know more especially about the east.
    There IS religious bias that causes extreme sentiments, especially when poverty and illiteracy is high. There is a 3rd world mentality when you have people knowingly cheer a ruthles dictator that takes billions from the public and spreads it along for his family . . . and sometimes, as long as he yells out in the streets, "God is great!" and "brothers" and "the infidels" they get acquainted. NOW though, I thinnk that they are having a sort of awakening period. I am speaking here not about "East", but about poverty stricken Islamist countries. Just like the Taliban pray for "death to the infidels" and in a land where people are terrified to speak out, so to in many other parts of the eastern world do you find such states. It is why I mention religious bias, and 3rd world mentality, and it all havng a brainwashing effect, ESPECIALLY on their children . . . as in the Palestinian movement you have fathers arming thier 8yr old children with Ak 47s and teaching them to "kill the great Satan." IT IS ALL ABOUT THIS CANCER that STRICKENS the MIDDLE EAST . . . and it is ALL the problems they ever need.

Quote Originally Posted by Roman View Post
    Maybe we in the US are not the best educated in the world and maybe as a country we are relatively self-centered, but compared to 3rd world/religiously zealous/tradition locked/authoritarian governed peoples who can't afford or don't care to afford themselves public education, journalism, science, how could they possibly be anything other than more ignorant than we, by the millions or billions?
    It's like I said: WE consume, while middle easterners and 3rd world countries are being consumed by dictators and religion; for where there is no infrastructure there is no growth and things remain stale . .. where there is lack of sound judgement due to brainwashed minds society becomes stale and like a new rug that is never washed, simply becomes darker and darker as all the rich colours fade away. Remember 9/11 and what we saw in the middle east when they showed people jumping for joy and doing the " lalalalalalalala." "God is great!" >they get brainwashed and ignorance is rampant where poverty stricken people grow up in such a state where illiteracy is low, too. How can "god be great!" when innocent people are killed and made to suffer!? How can you pray for death of innocents!? And how can you accept and jump for joy in the face of a dictator who gets rich off the suffereing of his own people . . . . . . . . only to jump for joy again when the "infidels" kill him or take him down, or your own people takes him down!?

The middle east is more complicated than the west, where we are a consuming culture and sometimes hypocritical when it comes to these affairs . . . . yet we become forced hypocrites becasue we have to think of the final outcome and the resources and the struggle to rid these lands of dictators and bring democracy and a new way of life for such abused peoples.

Where poverty and ignorance are rampant, even in some western countries you do see remnants of this sort of political and social phenomena . . . add an extreme idiology to feed off peoples bias and ignorance and you struck fools gold!

To sort of acknowledge Merci Alizée's point, I'll say that I'm just not sure how productive it is to label things as eastern and western. There is a certain sensibility to it. It's sort of true that things are typically eastern or typically western, but we are talking about half the planet in each case, right? Talk about simplification.
    In what I was saying, I was quantifying things in terms of Lybia and the middle Eastern lands that relate. I as not dividing the world in east and west haha

Slightly more specific, it is hard to think of "the middle-east" without thinking of a hot bead of conflict for (depending on how you look at it) several decades or a couple millenia. The U.S. has had no serious lasting conflict within it's borders for what, 150 years? Luck? What's the point? Um. I don't know. Is it possible to have "peace in the middle east"? Not in my life time.
    Itis due to the evoilution of society, that things become stable. . . . just like Civil War marked an evolutionary point for society, to better itself. The middle eastern lands in question have had NO SUCH evolutionary periods . . just REVolutions. Hence, why Kadhafi manages to stay in power. . . and fear, poverty, bias, religious zeal and rhetoric form a double helix for people to live out their lives not knowing anything else since birth, practically. . .
    Last edited by Orion; 28th February 2011 at 16:22.